So you’ve decided to live a more eco-friendly life…now what? The best thing to do after becoming hip on eco-friendly living, especially during the summer, is to attend eco-friendly events. These events can range from music festivals, to forums that discuss sustainability to simply a gathering of people that understand the necessity of eco-friendly living. Here are the top 5 eco-friendly summer events.
1) Green Festivals: Greenfestival is a joint project of Global Exchange and Green America that organizes events that bring together individuals to discuss ways to make our lives socially, economically and environmentally healthier. The next Green Festivals take place in Washington DC, San Francisco, Seattle, Denver and Chicago. At this event authors, educators, and other earth friendly individuals have the opportunity to shop, taste organic beer and wine, and discuss renewable energy and green technology. Green Festivals are a great way to show your interest in sustainability and meet some very interesting people that are making headway in environmental issues. Check out greenfestivals.org/ to learn more about these awesome events.
2) Rothbury: Rothbury is a 4-day music festival that takes place in Rothbury, Michigan. Rothbury is not only a music festival but also an event committed to sustainability. Rothbury aims to have very little impact on the environment while entertaining the tens of thousands that come out to enjoy the music of major headliners and local artist. At their inaugural festival in 2008, Rothbury stayed true to their commitment to having an eco-friendly festival by providing plates made of sugarcane and cups made of corn. There is also an area where people can gather around and talk about important topics such as green jobs and its importance in today’s society. If you’re a music and eco-friendly junkie check out their site for more information.
3) 10,000 Lakes Festival: This festival is also a 4-day music festival and takes place in Detroit Lakes, MN. 10,000 Lakes Festival makes it easy for concertgoers to recycle by providing them with two plastic bags, one for garbage and one for recyclable materials. They have what they call 24-hour Greening Stations which are stations set up throughout the venue to assist attendees to recycle their materials. During their 2008 festival they were able to collect over 50 tons of recycling resulting in a very earth friendly event. Check out their website for more information.
4) Think Green World Music Festival: Located in Napa Valley this event is about bringing together those that care about the environment and the kind of planet we will be leaving for future generations. During this festival attendees can enjoy green businesses, workshops on sustainable living and interactive activities for kids. Although this festival has been postponed for 2009, it will be up and running in 2010. Be sure to check it out next year’s event and all they have to offer.
5) Coachella: Coachella is another music festival that is about the music and about the earth. Coachella music festival, which is located in Indio, CA, combines music and recycling to make a very exciting eco-friendly event. Their biggest goal is to get people to recycle their used plastic water bottles. In order to achieve this goal they teamed up with Global Inheritance and created a program called Ten for One. Here concertgoers are able to return ten empty water bottles for one free bottle of water. Stay hydrated and stay eco-friendly! Coachella music festival has already taken place for 2009 but 2010 will be just as successful. Check out their site to get more information on this eco-friendly music festival.